Maryam Mirzakhani wins the Fields Medal for Outstanding Discoveries in Mathematics becoming the first woman to win the award as well as the first Iranian.
Maryam Mirzakhani was an Iranian mathematician and a professor of mathematics at Stanford University. Her research topics included Teichmüller theory, hyperbolic geometry, ergodic theory, and symplectic geometry.
Maryam Mirzakhani – Mathematician – Associated Links
- “Maryam Mirzakhani: Remembering a brilliant mathematician who inspired a world of possibilities”| ABC Science: http://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2018-01-07/maryam-mirzakhani-a-brilliant-mathematician-remembered/9240684
- “Maryam Mirzakhani Drew Her Way to Mathematical Greatness” | The New York Times: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/12/28/magazine/the-lives-they-lived-maryam-mirzakhani.html
- “Maryam Mirzakhani is First Woman Fields Medalist –
Maryam Mirzakhani’s monumental work draws deep connections between topology, geometry and dynamical systems.
- “Remembering the Brillian Maryam Mizakhani, the Only Woman to Win a Fields Medal | Smart News | Smithsonian: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/only-female-fields-medal-winner-maryam-mirzakhani-dies-age-40-180964078/
- “Maryam Mirzakhani: The more I spent time on maths, the more excited I got” |The Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/aug/13/interview-maryam-mirzakhani-fields-medal-winner-mathematician
Disclaimer: This content was prepared by the author in her personal capacity. The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy, opinion, or position of their employer.