“Each suburban wife struggles with it alone. As she made the beds, shopped for groceries, matched slipcover material, ate peanut butter sandwiches with her children, chauffeured Cub Scouts and Brownies, lay beside her husband at night- she was afraid to ask even of herself the silent question– ‘Is this all?” Betty Friedan
Betty Friedan publishes The Feminine Mystique, which galvanizes the women’s rights movement.
The Feminine Mystique is a book written by Betty Friedan which is widely credited with sparking the beginning of second-wave feminism in the United States. It was published on February 19, 1963 by W. W. Norton.
- About the Feminine Mystique by Betty Friedan | ThoughtCo: https://www.thoughtco.com/friedans-the-feminine-mystique-3528957
- Publication of ‘The Feminine Mystique’ by Betty Friedan | Jewish Women’s Archive: https://jwa.org/thisweek/feb/17/1963/betty-friedan
- “Controversy About the Feminist Manifesto is Nothing New” | TIME: http://time.com/3705314/feminine-mystique-published/
- Betty Friedan and the Making of “The Feminine Mystique” | University of Massachusetts Press: http://www.umass.edu/umpress/title/betty-friedan-and-making-feminine-mystique
- 4 Big Problems with ‘The Feminine Mystique’ – The Atlantic: https://www.theatlantic.com/sexes/archive/2013/02/4-big-problems-with-the-feminine-mystique/273069/
- Betty Friedan | Biography: https://www.biography.com/people/betty-friedan-9302633
- PODCAST: Stephanie Coontz on The Feminist Mystique 50 Years Later: http://www.feministcurrent.com/2013/02/19/podcast-stephanie-coontz-on-the-feminine-mystique-fifty-years-later/
- Friedan’s Feminine Mystique Turns 50 | Boston University: https://www.bu.edu/today/2013/friedan-feminine-mystique-turns-50/
- 1963: the beginning of the feminist movement | The Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/may/07/1963-beginning-feminist movement
- “The Feminine Mystique” | Quotes | Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/809732-the-feminine-mystique
Disclaimer: This content was prepared by the author in her personal capacity. The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy, opinion, or position of their employer.