“In every human Beast, God has implanted a Principle, which we call Love of Freedom; it is impatient of Oppression, and pants for Deliverance.” Phillis Wheatley
Phillis Wheatley’a Poems on various subjects, religious, and moral is published by act of Parliament in England.
Phillis Wheatley also spelled Phyllis and Wheatly was the first published African-American female poet. Born in West Africa, she was sold into slavery at the age of seven or eight and transported to North America.
Phillis Wheatley – Poet – Associated Links:
- Phillis Wheatley: Her Life, Poetry, and Legacy | Smithsonian: http://npg.si.edu/blog/phillis-wheatley-her-life-poetry-and-legacy
- Phillis Wheatley | Biography: https://www.biography.com/people/phillis-wheatley-9528784
- Phillis Wheatley | Britannica: https://www.britannica.com/biography/Phillis-Wheatley
- Phillis Wheatley | FemBio: http://www.fembio.org/english/biography.php/woman/biography/phillis-wheatley/
- Phillis Wheatley | Poetry Foundation: https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poets/phillis-wheatley
- Phillis Wheatley | PBS: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/aia/part2/2p12.html
- Phillis Wheatley | National Women’s History Museum: https://www.womenshistory.org/education-resources/biographies/phillis-wheatley
- Phillis Wheatley | Academy of American Poets: https://www.poets.org/poetsorg/poet/phillis-wheatley
- “Phillis Wheatley, the First African American Published Book of Poetry” | American Story: http://www.americaslibrary.gov/jb/revolut/jb_revolut_poetslav_1.html
- Phillis Wheatley | Quotes: http://www.azquotes.com/author/25162-Phillis_Wheatley