“The longest way must have its close – the gloomiest night will wear on to a morning.” Harriet Beecher Stowe
Harriet Beecher Stowe American Author is born.
Harriet Beecher Stowe was an American abolitionist and author. She came from the Beecher family, a famous religious family, and is best known for her novel Uncle Tom’s Cabin (1852), which depicts the harsh conditions for enslaved African Americans. The book reached millions as a novel and play, and became influential in the United States and Great Britain, energizing anti-slavery forces in the American North, while provoking widespread anger in the South. Stowe wrote 30 books, including novels, three travel memoirs, and collections of articles and letters. She was influential for both her writings and her public stances on social issues of the day.
Harriet Beecher Stowe – Author- Associated Links:
- Harriet Beecher Stowe| Biography: https://www.biography.com/people/harriet-beecher-stowe-9496479
- Harriet Beecher Stowe | Britannica: https://www.britannica.com/biography/Harriet-Beecher-Stowe
- Harriet Beecher Stowe | Biography Online: https://www.biographyonline.net/writers/harriet-beecher-stowe.html
- Harriet Beecher Stowe | HistoryNet: http://www.historynet.com/harriet-beecher-stowe
- Harriet Beecher Stowe | HISTORY: http://www.history.com/topics/harriet-beecher-stowe
- Harriet Beecher Stowe Center: https://www.harrietbeecherstowecenter.org
- Harriet Beecher Stowe | UPENN Digital Library: http://digital.library.upenn.edu/women/stowe/StoweHB.html
- “10 Things You May Not Know About Harriet Beecher Stowe” | MentalFloss: http://mentalfloss.com/article/80760/10-things-you-may-not-know-about-harriet-beecher-stowe
- “The Persuader” | The New Yorker: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2011/06/13/the-persuader-annette-gordon-reed
- “Who is Harriet Beecher Stowe?” | American Experience | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijFy4RjYGbQ
- Harriet Beecher Stowe | Goodreads | Quotes: https://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/26242.Harriet_Beecher_Stowe