Lula C. “L.C.” Naff Manager of The Ryman Auditorium is born. Lula C. Naff is commonly referred to as the “high priestess” of the Tabernacle.
Ryman Auditorium is “The Mother Church of Country Music,” and for decades, Lula C. Naff was its keeper. Before women were even granted the right to vote, Naff booked top talent and speakers for the Ryman, ranging from Charlie Chaplin to Helen Keller, as secretary for a talent agency. Naff was a shrewd businesswoman who signed her name “L.C.” to ensure that she didn’t reveal her gender to industry colleagues. After the company she worked for dissolved, Naff took a leap of faith and leased the Ryman as an independent agent before finally being named manager by its board in 1920. When the Grand Ole Opry came knocking in 1943, Naff famously agreed to let the radio show set up shop in the Ryman, forever sealing her legacy in Nashville’s country music history. (via Grand Old Opry “Celebrating Nashville History”)
Lula C. Naff – Manager – Associated Links:
- Lula C. Naff Biography “Lula was a Legend” | The Ryman Auditorium: https://www.ryman.com/history/lula-c-naff/
- Lula C. Naff Profile | Grand Ole Opry: https://www.opry.com/nashville-womens-history
- “As Ryman Celebrates 125 Years, the Nashville Venue Spotlights Pioneer Lula C. Naff”| Billboard: https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/country/8022020/ryman-auditorium-anniversary
- “Nashville’s Living History Museum Expands” | NPR: https://www.npr.org/2015/06/10/413178725/nashvilles-living-history-museum-expands
- “Making the Ryman: Lula C. Naff” | Nashville Public Library: http://nashvillepubliclibrary.org/offtheshelf/making-the-ryman-lula-naff/
- “Little Big Town, Lula C. Naff, Tom Roman to Music City Walk of Fame | MusicRow: https://musicrow.com/2017/08/little-big-town-lula-c-naff-tom-ryman-to-music-city-walk-of-fame/
Disclaimer: This content was prepared by the author in her personal capacity. The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy, opinion, or position of their employer.