Joan of Arc arrives to relieve the Siege of Orléans.
The Siege of Orléans was the watershed of the Hundred Years’ War between France and England. It was the French royal army’s first major military victory to follow the crushing defeat at the Battle of Agincourt in 1415, and also the first while Joan of Arc was with the army. At a time when the military situation for the French seemed increasingly bleak, this important victory proved a decisive turning point in the war.
Joan of Arc, nicknamed “The Maid of Orléans”, is considered a heroine of France for her role during the Lancastrian phase of the Hundred Years’ War and was canonized as a Roman Catholic saint.
Siege of Orléans – Battle – Associated Links:
- Siege of Orléans | HISTORY: https://www.history.com/topics/siege-of-orleans
- Siege of Orléans | Britannica https://www.britannica.com/event/Siege-of-Orleans
- “Hundreds Years War – Joan of Arc” | ThoughtCo: https://www.thoughtco.com/hundred-years-war-siege-of-orleans-2360758
- “Joan of Arc and the Siege of Orléans” | The Masculine Epic: https://masculineepic.com/index.php/2017/05/08/siege-of-orleans-joan-of-arc/
Joan of Arc – Saint – Associated Links:
- Joan of Arc | HISTORY: https://www.history.com/topics/saint-joan-of-arc
- Joan of Arc | Biography: https://www.biography.com/people/joan-of-arc-9354756
- Joan of Arc | Catholic Online: https://www.catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=295
- Joan of Arc | Britannica: https://www.britannica.com/biography/Saint-Joan-of-Arc
- “How Joan of Arc Turned the Tide in the Hundred Years War” | National Geographic: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/archaeology-and-history/magazine/2017/03-04/joan-of-arc-warrior-heretic-saint-martyr/