Grace Annie Lockhart graduated from Mount Allison University, becoming the first woman in the British Empire to earn a university degree.
Grace Annie Lockhart was the first woman in the British Empire to receive a Bachelor’s degree. She formally enrolled in Mount Allison University in Sackville, New Brunswick, Canada in 1874 and graduated with a degree of Bachelor of Science and English Literature on 25 May 1875. Although her later life was spent in a more conventional role, as the wife of the Methodist minister J.L. Dawson, Lockhart’s academic achievement as a student provided clear evidence of the justice of women’s claim to full rights in the field of higher education.
Grace Annie Lockhart – Associated Links:
- Grace Annie Lockhart Biography | The Canadian Encyclopedia: http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/grace-annie-lockhart/
- Grace Annie Lockhart | Section15ca.: http://section15.ca/features/people/2004/06/02/grace_lockhart/
- Grace Annie Lockhart | Prezi: https://prezi.com/3tr1kv3lseyr/grace-annie-lockhart/
- Grace Annie Lockhart | Tantramar Historic Sites: https://heritage.tantramar.com/hs19_1875.html
- “One hundred years after Grace Lockhart” | The Argosy: http://www.since1872.ca/news/one-hundred-years-after-grace-lockhart/
- “Grace Annie Lockhart- a Mount Allison and Canadian Heroine” | Sackville Tribune-Post: http://www.sackvilletribunepost.com/living/grace-annie-lockhart-a-mount-allison-and-canadian-heroine-88393/
- “OPINION: Grace Lockhart led the way for women at universities” | Herald Opinions: http://thechronicleherald.ca/opinion/1365334-opinion-grace-lockhart-led-the-way-for-women-at-universities