“Any girl can be glamorous. All you have to do is stand still and look stupid.” Hedy Lamarr
Actress Hedy Lamarr and composer George Antheil secure a patent for a frequency hopping spread spectrum communication system. The technology became the basis for wireless communications.
Hedy Lamarr was an Austrian-born American film actress and inventor. After a brief early film career in Czechoslovakia, including the controversial Ecstasy, she fled from her husband, a wealthy Austrian ammunition manufacturer, and secretly moved to Paris. Traveling to London, she met Metro-Goldwyn-Mayerstudio head Louis B. Mayer, who offered her a movie contract in Hollywood, where she became a film star from the late 1930s to the 1950s.
Hedy Lamarr – American Austrian Actress – Associated Links:
- Hedy Lamarr | Official Site: https://www.hedylamarr.com
- Hedy Lamarr | IMDb: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001443/
- Hedy Lamarr | PBS: https://www.pbs.org/video/bombshell-the-hedy-lamarr-story-xxkyoj/
- Hedy Lamarr |Famous Women Inventors: http://www.women-inventors.com/Hedy-Lammar.asp
- Hedy Lamarr | Biography: https://www.biography.com/people/hedy-lamarr-9542252
- Hedy Lamarr | Quotes: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/hedy_lamarr_100500
- “Hedy Lamarr and George Antheil submit patent for radio frequency hopping” |This Month in Physics History: https://www.aps.org/publications/apsnews/201106/physicshistory.cfm
- “Hedy Lamarr: The Incredible Mid Behind Secure WiFi, GPS, and Bluetooth”” | Forbes: https://www.forbes.com/sites/shivaunefield/2018/02/28/hedy-lamarr-the-incredible-mind-behind-secure-wi-fi-gps-bluetooth/#6fc182b741b7
- “Team Hollywood’s Secret Weapon System” | Smithsonian: