“Any girl can be glamorous. All you have to do is stand still and look stupid.” Hedy Lamarr
Actress Hedy Lamarr and composer George Antheil secure a patent for a frequency hopping spread spectrum communication system. The technology became the basis for wireless communications.
Hedy Lamarr was an Austrian-born American film actress and inventor. After a brief early film career in Czechoslovakia, including the controversial Ecstasy, she fled from her husband, a wealthy Austrian ammunition manufacturer, and secretly moved to Paris. Traveling to London, she met Metro-Goldwyn-Mayerstudio head Louis B. Mayer, who offered her a movie contract in Hollywood, where she became a film star from the late 1930s to the 1950s.
Hedy Lamarr – American Austrian Actress – Associated Links:
- Hedy Lamarr | Official Site: https://www.hedylamarr.com
- Hedy Lamarr | IMDb: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001443/
- Hedy Lamarr | PBS: https://www.pbs.org/video/bombshell-the-hedy-lamarr-story-xxkyoj/
- Hedy Lamarr |Famous Women Inventors: http://www.women-inventors.com/Hedy-Lammar.asp
- Hedy Lamarr | Biography: https://www.biography.com/people/hedy-lamarr-9542252
- Hedy Lamarr | Quotes: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/hedy_lamarr_100500
- “Hedy Lamarr and George Antheil submit patent for radio frequency hopping” |This Month in Physics History: https://www.aps.org/publications/apsnews/201106/physicshistory.cfm
- “Hedy Lamarr: The Incredible Mid Behind Secure WiFi, GPS, and Bluetooth”” | Forbes: https://www.forbes.com/sites/shivaunefield/2018/02/28/hedy-lamarr-the-incredible-mind-behind-secure-wi-fi-gps-bluetooth/#6fc182b741b7
- “Team Hollywood’s Secret Weapon System” | Smithsonian:
Disclaimer: This content was prepared by the author in her personal capacity. The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy, opinion, or position of their employer.