Sahle-Work Zewde is elected. She becomes the first woman to be President of Ethiopia and is voted in unanimously by members of the Federal Parliamentary Assembly.
Sahle-Work Zewde is the 4th and current President of Ethiopia, the first woman to hold the office. Sahle-Work was previously a career diplomat, serving as Special Representative of United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres to the African Union and Head of the United Nations Office to the African Union at the level of Under-Secretary-General of the United Nations.
Sahle – Work Zewde – President – Associated Links:
- Sahle-Work Zewde | Twitter: https://twitter.com/sahleworkzewde?lang=en
- “Who is Sahle-Work Zewde? Ethiopia Appoints Africa’s Only Woman President” | Newsweek
- “Sahle- Work Zewde becomes Ethiopia’s first female president” | BBC
- “Ms. Sahle-Work Zewde of Ethiopia – Special Representative to the African Union and Head of the United Nations Office to the African Union” | BBC News
- “Ethiopia’s parliament approves Sahle-Work Zewdw as first female president” |Reuters
- “Foreign Affairs honors Ms. Sahle-Work Zewde UN DG | Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- “Sahle-Work Zewde named Ethiopia’s first female president”|Al Jazeera
- “Sahle-Work Zewde is Ethiopia’s First Woman President and Africa’s Only Serving Female Head of State | Vogue
Disclaimer: This content was prepared by the author in her personal capacity. The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy, opinion, or position of their employer.