Sahle-Work Zewde is elected. She becomes the first woman to be President of Ethiopia and is voted in unanimously by members of the Federal Parliamentary Assembly.
Sahle-Work Zewde is the 4th and current President of Ethiopia, the first woman to hold the office. Sahle-Work was previously a career diplomat, serving as Special Representative of United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres to the African Union and Head of the United Nations Office to the African Union at the level of Under-Secretary-General of the United Nations.
Sahle – Work Zewde – President – Associated Links:
- Sahle-Work Zewde | Twitter: https://twitter.com/sahleworkzewde?lang=en
- “Who is Sahle-Work Zewde? Ethiopia Appoints Africa’s Only Woman President” | Newsweek
- “Sahle- Work Zewde becomes Ethiopia’s first female president” | BBC
- “Ms. Sahle-Work Zewde of Ethiopia – Special Representative to the African Union and Head of the United Nations Office to the African Union” | BBC News
- “Ethiopia’s parliament approves Sahle-Work Zewdw as first female president” |Reuters
- “Foreign Affairs honors Ms. Sahle-Work Zewde UN DG | Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- “Sahle-Work Zewde named Ethiopia’s first female president”|Al Jazeera
- “Sahle-Work Zewde is Ethiopia’s First Woman President and Africa’s Only Serving Female Head of State | Vogue